Chocolate Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure pumpkin
- 6 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- 2 Place cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, egg, pumpkin, yellow food coloring, red food coloring, and salt in a bowl. Beat using an electric mixer until thoroughly combined and no lumps remain. Stir in chocolate chips.
- 3 Whisk flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Mix in water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract until batter is well blended.
- 4 Fill muffin cups 1/2-full with batter; top with 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top.
- 5 Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.