Southern Dirty Rice
- 1/4 pound chicken gizzards, rinsed
- 1/2 pound chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 Pulse gizzards in food processor, then pulse livers.
- 2 Heat oil in a large saucepan. Saute onion and gizzards over medium heat, stirring constantly, until meat begins to brown (about 5 minutes). Add livers and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until brown (about 3 minutes).
- 3 Add rice and stir until coated with oil. Add broth, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook about 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed liquid. Sprinkle with green onion and serve.