Quinoa Black Bean Burgers
These vegetarian burgers are delicious! Your carnivorous friends will be impressed. My favorite way to serve is on a whole-wheat bun with garlic-lemon mayonnaise, fresh raw spinach, sliced tomato, and caramelized onions!
Servings per recipe: 5
Calories per serving: 245
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 35m
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 2 Roughly mash the black beans with a fork leaving some whole black beans in a paste-like mixture.
- 3 Mix the quinoa, bread crumbs, bell pepper, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, hot pepper sauce, and egg into the black beans using your hands.
- 4 Form the black bean mixture into 5 patties.
- 5 Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- 6 Cook the patties in the hot oil until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes per side.