Spanish Rice Bake
Ground beef, fresh onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes and rice are simmered in a sweet-hot sauce of chile, brown sugar, cumin and Worcestershire. This savory rice dish is then baked with Cheddar and garnished with fresh cilantro.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 350
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 1h
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can canned tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chile sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat and transfer beef to a large pot over medium low heat.. Stir in the onion, green bell pepper, tomatoes, water, rice, chile sauce, salt, brown sugar, cumin, Worcestershire sauce and ground black pepper.
- 3 Let this simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transport this to a 2-quart casserole dish. Press down firmly and sprinkle with the shredded Cheddar cheese.
- 4 Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.