Colorado Buffalo Chili
This spicy chili recipe uses ground buffalo. To step up the heat, use different peppers and experiment with the seasonings. This gets even better if you let it sit overnight. The chili is so good you'll need to find another way to use up your cheese and crackers.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 219
Preparation time: 30m
Total cooking time: 8h 40m
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, drained
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 Anaheim chile pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano chile pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Brown the buffalo in a skillet over medium heat; season with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste. Drain excess grease.
- 2 Combine the buffalo, tomatoes with green chiles, tomato soup, kidney beans, chili beans, onion, garlic, Anaheim chile pepper, poblano chile pepper, chili powder, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low overnight or 8 hours.