Oriental Cold Noodle Salad
A zesty treat--Goes great with bbq'd chicken and a beer. This dish has more of a Thai flavor. For a Japanese flavor, omit the pepper flakes, peanuts, and cilantro. Add 1/4 c. of toasted sesame seeds. If you're feeling adventurous mix in 1/2 c. of shredded dried seaweed (nori) just before serving. You can substitute ramen noodles for soba.
Servings per recipe: 8
Calories per serving: 242
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 1h 25m
- 15 ounces dried soba noodles
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- juice from one lime
- zest of one lime
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- 1 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 In a large pot, cook soba noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse noodles with cold water, and set aside.
- 2 Pour into a large bowl the sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and lime juice. Mix in lime zest, brown sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes; stir until sugar dissolves. Toss in carrots, peanuts, and cilantro.
- 3 Cut noodles into 3-inch lengths. Stir into dressing mixture. Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 4 Toss salad again before serving. If dry, splash with soy sauce and vinegar. Serve cold.