Shish Tawook Grilled Chicken
These are served in every restaurant in the Middle East. You can easily make them at home and make them taste just as good, if not better. Don't substitute sour cream for the yogurt, as the yogurt is a meat tenderizer.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 299
Preparation time: 30m
Total cooking time: 4h 40m
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 onions, cut into large chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Whisk together the lemon juice, vegetable oil, plain yogurt, garlic, tomato paste, salt, oregano, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, and cardamom in a large bowl; add the chicken and toss to coat. Transfer the chicken mixture into a large plastic bag; refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- 2 Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Thread the chicken, onions, and pepper onto metal skewers. Cook on preheated grill until the chicken is golden and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes each side. Sprinkle the parsley over the skewers.