Japanese Tofu Salad
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweetened rice wine)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 Place tofu between two plates, and weigh down with a heavy book. Allow tofu to drain for 1 hour, pouring out the expelled liquid every 20 minutes.
- 2 Whisk together the soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat, stir in the garlic and ginger, and gently cook until lightly golden; stir into the soy sauce mixture.
- 3 Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces, and toss together with the tomato, onion, and cilantro. Pour in the dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.