Chocolate Macaroon Cake
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot, brewed coffee
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10-inch bundt pan.
- 2 To Make Filling: Beat egg white with 1 teaspoon vanilla until soft mounds form. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in coconut and 1 tablespoon flour. Set filling aside.
- 3 Dissolve the cocoa in the hot coffee. Separate the three eggs, setting the yolks aside. Beat the egg whites until soft mounds form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until meringue stands in medium-stiff peaks.
- 4 Combine the sour cream and the baking soda. Beat remaining 1 1/4 cups of the sugar, shortening, egg yolks, salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 of the of the cocoa mixture until light and creamy, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 cups flour, the sour cream mixture, and the remaining cocoa mixture; blend well.
- 5 Fold about 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- 6 Turn 1/2 of the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Place 1/2 of the coconut mixture on top. Cover with the remaining chocolate batter, then the remaining coconut mixture.
- 7 Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cake cool completely before removing from pan and icing.
- 8 To Make Icing: Combine 2 cups sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder; transfer to a saucepan. Add butter, corn syrup, and milk. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, and let boil for 1 minute. Do not overcook! Remove from heat, let cool, and stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat icing until it is at a soft, spreading consistency; glaze cake.