Bridal Shower Cake
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
- 2 Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Sift flour with baking powder and salt, and add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- 3 In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then quickly fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain. Divide batter into prepared pans.
- 4 Bake in preheated oven until cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 5 Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Cover with white butter icing, and decorate as desired.