Zucchini Herb Casserole
I've been making this casserole for almost 20 years and it's always a hit. Even my meat-eater husband likes it. Serve with a crusty French bread or soft breadsticks. Leftovers are great in an omelet the next day.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 266
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 55m
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
- 2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- 3 Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- 4 Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.