- 7 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- 2 In a large bowl, mix oats, wheat germ, and wheat bran.
- 3 In a medium bowl, blend brown sugar, vegetable oil, honey, and water. Mix in vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir the brown sugar mixture into the oat mixture until evenly moist, and transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.
- 4 Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly brown. Mix dates, pecans, and coconut into the dish, and continue baking about 15 minutes. Allow to cool, and store in airtight containers.