Vegan Tomato Soup
I don't peel the tomatoes because there are lots of vitamins and fiber in the skin. If you puree the soup well, you won't taste them. I use half cherry tomatoes, half regular tomatoes.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 140
Preparation time: 10m
Total cooking time: 1h 5m
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, divided
- 1 Heat olive oil in a pot over low heat and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Increase heat to medium, add all tomatoes, and cook until they start to break down, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add vegetable broth, bay leaves, and 1 sprig of basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tomatoes have broken down and soup starts to thicken, about 30 minutes.
- 2 Remove soup from heat and cool slightly. Remove bay leaves and basil.
- 3 Puree tomato soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Reheat soup before serving and garnish with basil leaves.