Instant Pot® Mac and Cheese with Ham and Peas
Forget about the blue box (you know what I'm talking about) and make homemade mac and cheese for a weeknight dinner. The ham, peas, and optional hot sauce add some pizzazz to classic mac and cheese. Adjust the consistency of the mac and cheese sauce to suit your personal preference. I used Kraft® 2% Milk Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese to reduce fat with no negative effect on taste.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 607
Preparation time: 25m
Total cooking time: 44m
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder (such as Colman's®)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups shredded 2% milk Cheddar cheese (such as Kraft®)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Combine water, elbow macaroni, mustard powder, salt, and hot sauce in an electric pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot(R)). Close and lock the lid. Set timer for 4 minutes. Set to high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2 Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove lid. Switch to Low Saute function by pressing Saute once and Adjust twice. Stir macaroni to separate any clumps.
- 3 Stir evaporated milk, milk, and butter into the pot. Add Cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese gradually, stirring constantly until melted. Stir in ham and peas. Season with salt and pepper.