Bacon and Blue Cheese Potato Pancakes
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 pounds potatoes, cubed
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels; chop into smaller pieces.
- 2 Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to the pot; mash slightly.
- 3 Stir bacon, blue cheese, milk, egg, green onions, salt, and pepper into the pot; mash mixture with a potato masher to desired consistency. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- 4 Pour bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Shape the potato mixture into twelve 1/2-inch thick cakes; dredge in bread crumbs.
- 5 Heat olive oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 potato cakes; cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining potato cakes. Cover and keep warm.