This cake has a reputation! A sweet and tempting caramel is drizzled into a greased Bundt® pan, followed by a gorgeous smooth mixture for a moist and rich chocolate cake and a layer of creme caramel. Serve topped with more melted cajeta if you wish.
Servings per recipe: 12
Calories per serving: 459
Preparation time: 25m
Total cooking time: 2h 26m
- 1/4 cup cajeta, sweetened caramelized goat's milk syrup
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the base and sides of a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Dust lightly with flour; tap to remove excess.
- 2 Fill a shallow baking pan with enough water to come 1/3 of the way up the sides of the tube pan. Place water bath in the oven to warm up while it is preheating.
- 3 Pour caramel sauce into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until warm and pourable, about 1 minute. Pour into the prepared tube pan, covering the base completely.
- 4 Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- 5 Beat 1/2 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 egg and coffee. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, mixing well between additions. Pour cake batter evenly over caramel in the tube pan.
- 6 Combine evaporated milk, condensed milk, 4 eggs, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth. Pour over cake batter through a fine sieve.
- 7 Bake in the water bath in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the chocolate cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 8 Let cake cool, about 1 hour. Carefully run a thin knife around the edges to loosen the cake, cover with a serving plate, and flip onto the plate.