Beef Stroganoff III
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup white wine
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 Remove any fat and gristle from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper.
- 2 In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.
- 3 Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in mustard. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- 4 Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.