- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate.
- 2 Slice a very thin layer from the bottom of each fennel bulb using a vegetable peeler or paring knife, leaving the core in place to help hold bulb intact. Remove fennel stalks, reserving fronds. Slice bulbs vertically into 1/4-inch slices. Brush slices with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with ground black pepper and salt on each side.
- 3 Grill fennel slices until charred, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to serving platter.
- 4 Whisk remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, basil, parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper, thyme, and reserved fennel fronds together in a bowl. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and drizzle lemon mixture over fennel.