Goong Tod Kratiem Prik Thai (Prawns Fried with Garlic and White Pepper)
This dish uses a classic Thai preparation method of protein. It might not sound like much, but it's a very satisfying dish, especially made with shrimp that's shell-on. We eat the shrimp shell and all, as to not miss out on any flavor. It's also a very kid-friendly dinner dish. Serve with lots of rice.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 377
Preparation time: 5m
Total cooking time: 9m
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided, or as needed
- 1 pound whole unpeeled prawns, divided
- 1 Combine garlic, tapioca flour, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, and white pepper in a bowl; add prawns and toss to coat.
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. Add 1/2 of the prawns in single layer; fry until golden brown and crispy, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and remaining prawns.