Drowned Beef Sandwich with Chipotle Sauce (Torta Ahogada)
Served with a spicy beef broth for dipping, these roast beef sandwiches on crusty rolls - a variation on a traditional Mexican 'drowned sandwich' -make a hearty lunch or quick dinner.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 569
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 35m
- 12 ounces chipotle cooking sauce (such a Knorr®)
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 4 bolillo rolls, halved and lightly toasted
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, or to taste (optional)
- 1 Combine chipotle cooking sauce, beef broth, and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- 2 Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; saute onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic into onion and cook for 1 minute. Add roast beef and 1/4 cup chipotle sauce mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- 3 Ladle remaining chipotle sauce mixture into 4 bowls for dipping. Spoon roast beef mixture onto the bottom half of each bun, top with a cilantro sprig, and place the top on each bun. Dip sandwiches into sauce.