Thai Carrot Salad
I got this recipe from the cook at my favorite Thai restaurant in Cincinnati. His carrot salad was one of his most popular salads/appetizers, people would buy multiple orders to go so they could bring this as a take along dish to an event. This is even better made a day ahead.
Servings per recipe: 8
Calories per serving: 183
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 1h 25m
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1 Place grated carrots in a large bowl.
- 2 Combine sugar, water, and vinegar in a saucepan and bring to a boil; cook until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add garlic, fish sauce, and curry paste to sugar mixture and simmer until flavors blend, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and cool dressing completely, about 30 minutes.
- 3 Stir lime juice and red pepper flakes into dressing and pour over carrots. Add peanuts and toss to coat. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.