Angel's Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Beef chuck stewed with potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and beef broth for a homey favorite. The aroma that permeates throughout the house while the stew is simmering doesn't do it justice..delicious.
Servings per recipe: 12
Calories per serving: 348
Preparation time: 1h
Total cooking time: 3h
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cubed
- 12 small boiling onions
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 In a large pot heat oil over medium high heat. In a resealable plastic bag mix together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add a small handful of meat at a time and shake until well coated; brown in hot oil, about 1 minute per side. Remove the browned meat and continue until all the meat is browned.
- 2 Lower heat to medium and add onions. Brown onions on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, then remove from pot and set aside. Drain excess fat from pot.
- 3 To pot add potatoes, carrots, celery, reserved onions, browned meat and broth. Stir all together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 4 For a thicker broth: 1/2 hour before stew is done, combine 3 tablespoons flour and water in a small bowl and mix well, then slowly stir mixture into stew.