Grilled Hearts of Romaine
This is truly and ridiculously easy. The trick is to get the grill grates very hot. And the result? A lightly caramelized surface and a slightly smoky flavor. The insides stay cool and crisp. It's quite a contrast of tastes and textures.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 88
Preparation time: 10m
Total cooking time: 15m
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or to taste
- 1 Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- 2 Brush each romaine lettuce half with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
- 3 Cook romaine hearts, cut-side down, on the preheated grill until the cut-side is slightly caramelized but the inside is still cool and crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer lettuce, cut-side up, to a platter. Sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over lettuce and drizzle balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, and 2 tablespoons olive oil over the top.