Wild and Brown Rice
A perfect side dish for game birds. May be prepared ahead of time and microwaved just prior to serving.
Servings per recipe: 12
Calories per serving: 147
Preparation time: 20m
Total cooking time: 1h 40m
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 In heavy saucepan, soak wild rice in boiling water for 30 minutes. Drain; rinse thoroughly.
- 2 In large skillet or Dutch oven, combine drained wild rice, brown rice, onion, carrots, celery, chicken broth, thyme, marjoram, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3 Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 50 to 60 minutes.