Mawmaw's Simple Fried Green Tomatoes
- 4 firm green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 quart ice water, or as needed
- 1 cup canola oil, or as needed
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- 1 Place tomato slices in a bowl of ice water; soak for about 5 minutes.
- 2 Heat about 1/2 inch of canola oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- 3 Combine cornmeal and flour in a bowl.
- 4 Remove tomato slices from ice water, one at at time, and coat lightly in the cornmeal mixture; shake off any excess. Place in the hot oil.
- 5 Cook tomato slices, working in batches, until edges are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt.