Whole Rice and Lentils (Majadara)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion has softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add ginger and stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add brown rice and stir to coat rice with oil.
- 2 Stir lentils, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cinnamon into rice mixture; cover with water. Place lid on pot and simmer over low heat until lentils are tender and rice has absorbed the water, about 45 minutes.