Ex-Girlfriend's Mom's Salsa Fresca (Pico de Gallo)
My ex's mom had the best hand-chopped salsa fresca I have ever tasted back in college. Over the years, I have tweaked it to something my friends and family rave about. The trick for this salsa is marinating the onions and jalapenos in lime juice for about 5 minutes before adding the tomatoes and cilantro. There are two tricks to this recipe: 1. Hand-chop everything. It takes a while, but it is worth it. 2. The marinating is what makes this salsa special. Hope you enjoy.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 29
Preparation time: 20m
Total cooking time: 40m
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped - or more to taste
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 1/2 cups Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Mix red onion, jalapeno pepper, and lime juice in a bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Mix in Roma tomatoes, cilantro, and salt; allow to stand 15 more minutes for flavors to blend.