Tuscan Smoked Turkey-Bean Soup
Num-Yummy!! This soup is delicious and uses turkey instead of ham which really cuts the fat and calories. We always keep a container in the freezer for those go-to meals on the quick.
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 454
Preparation time: 20m
Total cooking time: 12h 20m
- 1 pound dry white beans
- 2 smoked turkey legs
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Place the beans into a large bowl, fill the bowl with water, and cover the bowl with a cloth. Allow to soak overnight. Drain and rinse the beans.
- 2 Place the soaked beans, turkey legs, onion, and bay leaves into a large soup pot, cover with water, then bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 3 hours. Remove bay leaves, and discard. Remove the turkey legs from the broth, separate the meat from the bones and tendons, and return the meat to the broth. Stir in celery, carrots, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper; simmer until the celery and carrots are tender, about 1 hour. Serve in bowls and sprinkle each serving with about 1 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese.