Roasted Garlic, Bell Pepper and Tomato Blender Sauce
This was a recipe that I created one summer afternoon when I had a big crop of tomatoes from my garden. It is wonderful on pasta with a sprinkle of Romano cheese.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 217
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 1h
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 small tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- 2 Place whole unpeeled head of garlic in an oven-safe dish with 1/4 cup water and drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil on garlic. Roast in preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, put tomatoes in a blender and blend until pureed. Add bell peppers and blend until pureed.
- 4 Break roasted cloves of garlic and squeeze 5 cloves into blender; blend in garlic. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil and blend briefly. Add salt and pepper to taste, dried red pepper flakes and basil; blend.
- 5 The sauce is ready, but can either be refrigerated for a couple of days to blend the flavors or can be frozen. Sauce can be served cold or heated up until just warm.