Chinese Pepper Steak
A delicious meal, served with boiled white rice, that's easy and made from items that I've already got in my cupboards! My mother clipped this recipe from somewhere and it became a specialty of mine; however, I've been unable to find the original source.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 312
Preparation time: 15m
Total cooking time: 30m
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 Slice the steak into 1/2-inch thick slices across the grain.
- 2 Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and ginger in a bowl until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Place the steak slices into the marinade, and stir until well-coated.
- 3 Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and place 1/3 of the steak strips into the hot oil. Cook and stir until the beef is well-browned, about 3 minutes, and remove the beef from the wok to a bowl. Repeat twice more, with the remaining beef, and set the cooked beef aside.
- 4 Return all the cooked beef to the hot wok, and stir in the onion. Toss the beef and onion together until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes, then stir in the green pepper. Cook and stir the mixture until the pepper has turned bright green and started to become tender, about 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes, stir everything together, and serve.