Broccoli Cheese Soup
This is a great, very flavorful soup. Good for serving at luncheons or special gatherings with a quiche. To make this soup a little fancier, add 1 cup sliced mushrooms and 1 cup white wine with the onions.
Servings per recipe: 12
Calories per serving: 265
Preparation time: 10m
Total cooking time: 40m
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (1 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until softened. Stir in broccoli, and cover with chicken broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2 Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted. Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- 3 In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into water until dissolved. Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.