This is a simple recipe. Most of the work is preparing the mussels; cooking takes very little time. When you have finished eating the mussels, dip bread in the buttery wine sauce.
Servings per recipe: 4
Calories per serving: 298
Preparation time: 35m
Total cooking time: 50m
- 4 quarts mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 Scrub mussels. Pull off beards, the tuft of fibers that attach each mussel to it's shell, cutting them at the base with a paring knife. Discard those that do not close when you handle them and any with broken shells. Set aside.
- 2 Combine onion, garlic, 4 tablespoons parsley, bay leaf, thyme, wine, and 2 tablespoons butter in large pot. Bring to boil. Lower heat, and cook 2 minutes. Add mussels, and cover. Cook just until shells open, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overcook. Remove mussels from sauce, and place in bowls.
- 3 Strain liquid, and return to pot. Add remaining butter and parsley. Heat until butter melts. Pour over mussels.