Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chile Sauce
World Cuisine Latin American Mexican
Chicken- and cheese-filled corn tortillas baked under a creamy sauce infused with hot green chiles. Adjust the amount of chopped chiles to suit your taste!
Servings per recipe: 6
Calories per serving: 797
Preparation time: 35m
Total cooking time: 1h 10m
- 12 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for pan-frying
- 3 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
- 10 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2 Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas (one at a time) for 5 seconds on each side to soften and make them pliable. Add more oil to pan as needed. Drain between layers of paper towel and keep warm.
- 3 Divide chicken, 10 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese, and onion among the 12 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in a greased baking pan.
- 4 Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until mixture begins to boil. Slowly add the broth, stirring with a whisk until thickened. Mix in the sour cream and chiles, heat thoroughly but do not boil, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture over the enchiladas.
- 5 Bake in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and bake for 5 more minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro.