Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3 In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
- 4 Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- 5 Top with whipped topping and with the reserved coconut.