Baked Macaroni and Cheese I
- 2 slices bacon
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2 Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- 3 In a large pot with boiling salted water cook pasta until al dente. Drain.
- 4 In a medium skillet saute the chopped onion, and minced garlic. Take off heat and add chopped cooked bacon and set aside.
- 5 To make the sauce, in a medium saucepan melt the butter or margarine over low heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and continue stirring until thickened. Stir in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar cheese and stir until melted.
- 6 Combine cooked pasta, sauteed vegetables and sauce. Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Add the last cup of grated Cheddar cheese to top of mixture.
- 7 Bake uncovered in preheated oven until cheese on top is melted and brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.